ACCESSIBILITY FOR ONTARIANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT (AODA)
Connex is committed to making its Website usable by all persons by meeting or exceeding the requirements of the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0 Level AA (WCAG 2.0 AA).
Please note that our efforts are ongoing to meet the WCAG 2.0 AA guidelines over time. If you need assistance using the processes found on this site, or if you have specific questions or concerns regarding the accessibility of this site, please contact us at Click or tap here to enter text.
If you encounter an accessibility issue, be sure to specify the webpage and we will make every reasonable effort to make that page accessible.
Multi-Year Plan - English (PDF)
Multi-Year Plan - French (PDF)
This policy applies to all employees and to external applicants who apply to Connex Telecommunications Inc. and is designed to meet the requirements of the Integrated Accessibility Standards, OntarioRegulation 91/11 for the Employment Standard set forth under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 [“AODA”], in accordance with the Multi-YearAccessibility Plan.
Selection and Assessment
The Connex Telecommunications Inc. website and all job postings for employment opportunities at Connex Telecommunications Inc. shall include a statement notifying employees and external applicants that Connex Telecommunications Inc. provides accommodations for external applicants with disabilities during all stages of the recruitment process. The statement shall indicate the following:
Connex Telecommunications is committed to recruiting and hiring the best candidates for all roles and is committed to integration and equal opportunity. Upon request, Connex Telecommunications Inc. will provide suitable accommodations during the recruitment and hiring process to candidates with accessibility needs due to disability to ensure that the standards outlined in Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) are upheld. If you require an accommodation during the application or interview process, please contact the HR responsible at: Facilities information.
Selection and Assessment/Interviews
When contacting selected external applicants to request their participation in an interview or assessment, Connex Telecommunications Inc. staff shall notify them that accommodations are available upon request during the assessment and/or interview process and provide them with contact information of the designated contact for this person. To this end, the following scripting is suggested for persons communicating with successful applicants whether verbally or in writing:
We would like to make you aware that accommodations for persons with disabilities will be made available during the interview process. Just let us know if this is something you require by contacting the HR responsible at: firstname.lastname@example.org
If a selected external applicant requests an accommodation, Connex Telecommunications Inc. will consult with the external applicant and, in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, shall provide suitable accommodation in a manner that takes into consideration the external applicant’s accessibility needs.
Notice to Successful Applicants
When making offers of employment for a specific employment opportunity, Connex Telecommunications Inc. shall notify the successful applicant of its Accessibility Policy. To this end, the following scripting is suggested for persons communicating with successful applicants whether verbally or in writing:
We would like to make you aware that Connex Telecommunications Inc. provides accommodation to persons with disabilities in accordance with our Accessibility Policy. If you require accommodation due to a disability, please contact the HR responsible at email@example.com
Informing Employees of Supports
Connex Telecommunications Inc. shall inform all employees of this Accessibility Policy. New employees shall be provided with a copy of the Accessibility Policy along with other orientation documentation. Updated information shall be provided to all employees whenever there is a change to existing procedures. Updates may be provided to staff via team meetings, intranet, employee newsletter, email or postings in the workplace.
Accessible Formats and Communication Supports
Upon request, Connex Telecommunications Inc. shall arrange for the provision of workplace information to employees in an accessible format. “Accessible formats” may include (without limitation):
- Large print;
- Recorded audio and electronic formats;
“Workplace information” may include (without limitation):
- Information that is needed to perform the employee’s job;
- Information that is generally available to employees in the workplace; and
- Individual accommodation plans.
Arrangements shall be made in consultation with the individual making the request, in order to determine the suitability of the format or communication support.
Workplace Emergency Response Information
Employees with disabilities who may require assistance with evacuating the building in the event of an emergency should contact safety and emergency coordinator to co-ordinate the development of individualized workplace emergency response information. If a supervisor or manager becomes aware that an employee may require assistance in an emergency, he/she must contact the HR responsible directly to request the development of this information. Emergency response information will be developed in a timely manner in consultation with the employee and his/her supervisor/manager. With the employee’s consent, a copy of the Emergency Response Information will be provided to the person designated by Connex Telecommunications Inc. to provide assistance. A copy of the information will also be placed in the employee’s Human Resources file and will be reviewed in the following circumstances:
- When the employee moves to a different location in the organization;
- When the employee’s overall accommodation needs, or plans are reviewed; or
- When Connex Telecommunications Inc. reviews its general emergency response plans.
It is the employee’s responsibility to request any accommodations that may be required as a result of a disability. Connex Telecommunications Inc. will develop Individual Accommodation Plans for employees with disabilities.
Process and Individual Accommodation Plans:
1. An employee who requires an accommodation because of a disability must notify the HR responsible of his/her request.
2. Connex Telecommunications Inc. will inform the employee of the medical information it requires and will reimburse the employee for any reasonable costs associated with same. If an independent medical evaluation is required by Connex Telecommunications Inc., the employer will obtain the employee’s consent to participate in this process and will pay the costs associated with it.
3. All medical information received by Connex Telecommunications Inc. will be treated as confidential and maintained in a secure location accessible only by the HR responsible and the plant manager.
4. The HR responsible will assess the accommodation request based on a review of the relevant information, will determine whether a duty to accommodate exists and, if so, will meet with the employee in the development of an Individual Accommodation Plan and will consult with the employee’s manager/supervisor the potential accommodation options.
5. Each Individual Accommodation Plan shall be documented, with a copy to be provided to the employee (in an accessible format, if requested) and included in the employee’s personnel file. It shall contain, without limitation, the following:
- If requested, any information regarding accessible formats and communications supports provided;
- If required, individualized workplace emergency response information;
- Any other accommodation that is to be provided.
6. If the HR responsible determines that a duty to accommodate does not exist, it will advise the employee or external applicant in writing and provide reasons for this determination.
Return to Work
Where an employee has been absent from work due to a disability and requires disability-related accommodation in order to return to work, the HR responsible will consult with the returning employee and develop an Individual Accommodation Plan for the returning employee (as above). The HR responsible will follow up regularly during the early phases of the return to work process to monitor the employee’s progress, need for additional accommodations or supports the Individual Accommodation Plan.
Performance Management, Career Development and Redeployment
Supervisory staff will take into consideration the accessibility needs of employees with disabilities, as well as any Individual Accommodation Plans when evaluating and managing performance, assessing employees for career development and advancement opportunities, and/or redeploying employees to alternative positions. Individual Accommodation Plans should be reviewed prior to any performance management, career development or redeployment meetings to ensure that all relevant accommodations have been implemented and taken into account during the discussion.
All persons (employee or applicant) are invited to provide feedback about Connex Telecommunications Inc.’s accessibility procedures to the HR responsible and/or to the individual supervisors/managers directly involved. Such feedback will be taken seriously and addressed in a timely fashion.